Saturday, September 13, 2008

Discipline: " A blueprint for Change"

A Montessori Approach to Changing the Family Dynamic

Every fibre of a child's being is directed toward psychological and physical growth -- to becoming a kind, intelligent, warm, energetic, strong, and caring person.

Ask yourself:
  • Am I helping or hindering that growth?
  • What am I doing to cause my child's unacceptable behavior?
  • With whom do I let my child associate?
  • What kinds of mechanical/electronic stimulus am I allowing my child to be exposed to?
  • What types of foods am I providing?
  • How do I react to demands?
  • Am I providing the necessary order, predictability, and structure that he needs in his life, at school, at home?
  • Am I allowing him to climb, run, master stairs, play, tumble, dance?
  • Am I allowing her to dress herself? Feed himself?
  • Am I allowing him to help with grocery shopping?
  • Am I allowing him to touch, feel, smell, and/or taste new things?
  • Am I providing the proper stimulus to feed his need for speech, music, dimension, color, tactile experience?
  • Am I providing ample time for her to explore the outdoors by walking in the park, around the neighborhood?
  • Do I allow him time to watch insects, birds, animals or anything he finds interesting in the outdoors?
  • Am I modeling the appropriate etiquette for positive social interactions?
  • Am I correcting constantly?
  • Do I provide cues and reminders or do I humiliate him by saying "Say, thank you," or "Say, yes sir" ?
  • Am I providing enough time and opportunity for my child to express himself before acting or supplying the words?
  • Do I repeat the polite way to make a request in a loving, positive, matter of fact manner? "May I have more milk, please?"

(Borrowed and adapted from an AMI Montessori Guide)

No comments:

Post a Comment